Make Joe Wicks' Sticky Toffee Pudding for a Mother's Day treat
Treat the whole family this weekend with this indulgent dessert from Joe Wicks’ Cooking For Family and Friends. This sticky toffee pudding may not be lean; but it will make a delicious Mother’s Day dessert!
-200g pitted dates
-190g butter, roughly cubed
-100g golden caster sugar
-30g black treacle
-1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
-200g self-raising ﬂour
-120g soft light brown sugar
-200ml double cream
-Ice cream, to serve (optional)
220x150mm baking dish
1. Place the dates into a large bowl, pour over 175ml of boiling water and leave to stand for a minimum of 30 minutes (you might find that if you have very dry dates they benefit from a further 15 minutes).
2. Preheat your oven to 180°C (fan 160°C/gas mark 4) and line the baking dish with baking parchment.
3. Place the dates and all of the soaking liquid into a food processor. Add 100g of the butter, the golden caster sugar, eggs and treacle. Blitz until pretty much smooth — don't worry if it looks as if the butter and eggs are splitting; it will all come good.
4. Add the bicarbonate of soda and self-raising flour and blitz until you reach a smooth consistency. Tip the batter into the lined baking dish. Spread the batter out so it is fairly even and then slide into the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
5. Place the remaining 90g of butter into a saucepan with the soft light brown sugar and double cream, and bring slowly to the boil while stirring regularly. Boil the sauce for 1 minute, then remove from the heat.
6. When the cake is fully cooked, remove it from the oven and prick it all over with a fork. Pour over about 4 tablespoons of the sauce and spread it over the top of the cake. Let the cake stand for 5 minutes, then remove from the dish, out into squares and serve up with the remaining toffee sauce and ice cream if you really want to push the boat out.
Balance eating healthily and keeping lean with feeding a crowd with million-copy bestseller Joe Wicks' Cooking For Family and Friends.
Featuring more than 100 delicious and nutritious recipes that are perfect for sharing with the special people in your life, this cookbook will help you create delicious family meals that help you stay lean.