Kayla Itsines' healthy fish and chips recipe
Try this fish and chips recipe from Kayla Itsines' The Bikini Body 28-Day Healthy Eating & Lifestyle Guide for a healthier #nationalfishandchipday treat.
‘Fish & Chips’ (Quinoa & Parmesan–Crumbed Fish with slaw)
Serves 2 | Prep time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 35 minutes | Difficulty: Easy
- 2½ tablespoons quinoa flour or cornflour
- 1 large egg
- 60 g quinoa flakes
- finely grated zest of ½ lemon
- 20 g parmesan cheese, finely grated
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 250 g white fish fillet
- 1 medium sweet potato, washed, dried and cut into 1 cm thick chips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- oil spray
- ½ lemon, cut into wedges
- 100 g low-fat plain yoghurt
- juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 100 g green cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 2 medium green apples, cored and thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan/gas 6) and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the quinoa flour or cornflour on a flat plate. Crack the egg into a small bowl and whisk until well combined. In a separate bowl, combine the quinoa flakes, lemon zest, parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Lightly coat the fish in the flour. Shake off any excess and then dip into the beaten egg. Coat the fish in the quinoa flake mixture, pressing firmly to ensure that it is evenly coated.
- Place the sweet potato chips and oil in a mixing bowl and toss to combine. Ensure that all the chips are lightly coated.
- Lay the chips in a single layer on one of the lined baking trays and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until tender and golden brown, turning once halfway through.
- Place the crumbed fish on the second lined baking tray and spray lightly with oil spray. Bake in the oven with the sweet potato chips for 10–15 minutes or until the fish is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, to make the slaw, whisk the yoghurt, lemon juice and parsley together in a small bowl. Place the cabbage, carrot and apple in a mixing bowl. Drizzle over the yoghurt dressing and toss gently to combine.
- To serve, place the crumbed fish, sweet potato chips and slaw on two serving plates. Serve with lemon wedges on the side.
Kayla Itsines is a personal trainer with over 10 million followers for herself and her Bikini Body Guide. This, her first book includes over 200 healthy recipes and 4-week workout plan which includes Kayla's signature 28-minute workouts to help you achieve your fitness goals.