Looking for a healthy vegetarian dish to share with friends for a weekend feast, or an easy, healthy meat-free Monday recipe for the whole family? Why not whip up these mexican fried rice nachos from wellness advocate and podcaster Jessica Murnane’s One Part Plant.
Mexican Fried Rice Nachos
This recipe was inspired by half an hour of binge-watching fried rice how-to videos. Weird, I know. But have you ever seen fried rice being made by a pro? There’s something so mesmerizing about the sound of the sizzling oil, the crazy-fast prep work and the wok being handled with such finesse and ease. After my viewing party (of one), I was inspired to make fried rice -well, semi-fried -and I threw in some nachos, too.
Makes 4–6 servings
Olive or coconut oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
Pinch of ground cumin
200 g cooked black beans, drained and rinsed if tinned
Kernels from 2 ears boiled or grilled corn
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
135 g cooked jasmine rice
2 teaspoons tamari or coconut aminos sauce
1 bag (175–300 g) sprouted or corn tortilla chips
Toppings (choose a few from the following):
Diced raw onions
1. In a large frying pan, heat some oil over medium heat and sauté the onions until they are soft and translucent, 5–7 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, jalapeño, cumin and a pinch of salt and cook for another few minutes.
3. Stir in the black beans and corn.
4. Cook for a few more minutes. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the lime juice. Set aside.
5. Drain any excess liquid from the frying pan and place it over high heat. Add a glug of oil.
6. When the pan is hot, add the jasmine rice, after using your hands to break up any clumps.
7. Toss the rice around the pan for about 3 minutes. When you see a few grains browning, pour the bean and corn mixture back into the frying pan, add the tamari and toss everything together until the mixture is combined and piping hot.
8. On a large plate or baking tray, spread out the tortilla chips and top them with fried rice. Add any toppings you like and serve.