Make your own gingerbread mice
make some friends for mouse with this easy gruffalo-themed gingerbread recipe for adults and children to make together from julia donaldson's fun-packed cookery book gruffalo crumble and other recipes.
gruffalo crumble and other recipes
is packed full of sweet treats, healthy snacks and simple meals - all based on the bestselling picture book the gruffalo
by julia donaldson and axel scheffler.
you will need:
60g unsalted butter
50g brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
150g plain flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon ground ginger
6 dried cranberries
extra butter for greasing
a baking tray
a small saucepan
a large mixing bowl
a butter knife
makes 12 mice
what to do:
1. preheat the oven to 180˚c/gas mark 4.
2. dip a piece of kitchen paper in some butter and grease the baking tray.
3. melt the butter, sugar and honey in the saucepan over a low heat. leave to cool.
4. mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ground ginger in the large mixing bowl.
5. pour the warm butter mixture into the bowl. make sure it’s not too hot!
6. mix with your hands to make a stiff dough. if it’s too sticky, you can add a little more f lour. if it feels too dry, add a splash of water.
7. divide your dough into thirteen pieces and roll into balls. put twelve on the baking tray and keep the thirteenth to one side.
8. flatten the twelve balls with the palm of your hand and pinch into a teardrop shape. these are your mice.
9. roll out the last ball into a long, thin sausage and cut into twelve with a butter knife.
10. curl each little sausage into a snail shape to make the mice’s tails. stick one behind each mouse.
11. cut the cranberries and raisins in half with a pair of scissors.
12. stick the halved raisins on as eyes, and a halved cranberry for a nose.
13. separate the peanuts in half. they should come apart easily. press two halves into each mouse to make ears.
14. bake for 5-8 minutes.
julia donaldson's gruffalo crumble and other recipes is out now.
with twenty-four recipes specially designed for adults to use with children, easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions and lots of hints and tips on what to do next, gruffalo crumble and other recipes
is a great way to introduce gruffalo fans to cooking and baking.
order your copy