The Picador Book Club: Tender by Belinda McKeon
Welcome to the Picador Book Club. Each month we'll be suggesting a new or classic paperback that is perfect for book club discussion.
We'll be featuring reading group questions to help get your discussion going, author interviews and extracts from our chosen book. We'll also be giving you the chance to win copies for your whole book club (see below for this month's giveaway) and your reviews could be featured on the blog. If you’d like to join the discussion about this month’s choice online, please use #PicadorBookClub.
This month’s recommended novel for book clubs is Tender by Belinda McKeon, a novel about friendship and youth, about selfhood and sexuality and the thin line between love and obsession.
'Charts the marshy territory of friendship, obsession and love,
and offers no easy path. . . utterly absorbing'
Paul Baggaley, Picador Publisher on Tender,
'I’m thrilled to introduce Belinda McKeon’s beautiful and moving novel, Tender. Belinda’s first novel Solace (winner of several prizes including Irish Book of the Year) was a brilliantly assured debut. Her second novel fulfils this promise and more.
It is the story of a remarkable friendship: Catherine and James meet in Dublin at the turn of the last century. She is a college student, he is a fledgling artist - both recent arrivals from rural communities, coming of age in a city which is teeming with new freedoms, new possibilities. Their intense relationship ultimately crosses the fine line between longing and love, between friendship and obsession, with devastating consequences.
Tender begins with deceptive simplicity, reminiscent of Colm Tóibín and Anne Enright, but soon becomes a novel of extraordinary ambition and achievement as daring and bold as Ali Smith and Jeanette Winterson. It is a dazzling exploration of the complexities of human relationships, a novel about friendship and youth, about selfhood and sexuality, about the lies we tell ourselves and the lies we are taught to tell.
Tender confirms Belinda McKeon's status as one of the most exciting contemporary voices in Irish fiction and validates John Boyne’s claim that she is Ireland’s Anne Tyler.'
>>>Start reading Tender
Join the Picador Book Club for the chance to win paperbacks of Tender.
To enter this Promotion you must be a resident of the United Kingdom and aged 18 years old or over at the time of entry. All entries must be received by midnight 8th July 2016. Full terms and conditions below.
Required form 'BookClubHotelAlphaJune2015_3' does not exist.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Please read these terms and conditions carefully. By entering into this Picador Book Club prize draw (“Promotion”), you agree that you have read these terms and that you agree to them. Failure to comply with these terms and conditions may result in your disqualification from the Promotion.
1. This Promotion is run by Picador Books a trading division of Macmillan Publishers International Limited a company registered in England with registered number 02063302 and registered office at Brunel Road, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG21 6XS (“Promoter”).
2. To enter this Promotion you must be: (a) a resident of the United Kingdom; and (b) aged 18 years old or over at the time of entry.
3. This Promotion is not open to directors or employees (or members of their immediate families) of Promoter or any subsidiary of Promoter. Promoter reserves the right to verify the eligibility of entrants.
4. The Promotion is open for entries between 14:00 on Monday 6 June 2016 and 23:59 on Friday 8th July 2016.
5. No purchase is necessary to enter this Promotion and will not increase your chances of winning.
6. You can enter this Promotion in the following way: Filling out the form provided at http://www.picador.com/blog/june-2016/the-picador-book-club-tender-by-belinda-mckeon
7. There is no restriction on the number of entries that an eligible person can make.
8. Promoter accepts no responsibility for any entries that are incomplete, illegible, corrupted or fail to reach Promoter by the closing date for any reason. Proof of posting or sending is not proof of receipt. Entries via agents or third parties are invalid. No other form of entry is permitted. Please keep a copy of your entry as we will be unable to return entries or provide copies.
9. The prize for the Promotion consists of the following: One paperback copy of Tender by Belinda McKeon.
10. The prizes shall be awarded as follows: Five winners will be chosen at random from correctly submitted entries, via a randomised computer selection process.
11. You confirm that your entry is your own original work, is not defamatory and does not infringe any laws, including privacy laws, whether of the UK or elsewhere, or any rights of any third party, that no other person was involved in the creation of your entry, that you have the right to give Promoter and its respective licensees permission to use it for the purposes specified herein, that you have the consent of anyone who is identifiable in your contribution or the consent of their parent, guardian or carer if they are under 18 (or the applicable age of majority), it is lawful for you to enter and that you agree not to transfer files which contain viruses or any other harmful programs.
12. The winner(s) of the Promotion shall be notified as follows: by email correspondence from Picador Books by within five  working days of the competition closing date.
13. The winner(s) will be required to confirm acceptance of the prize within ten  working days and may be required to complete and return an eligibility form stating their age and residency details, among other details. Promoter will endeavour to ensure that winner(s) receive their prizes within thirty  days of the date they confirm acceptance of the prize. If a winner does not accept the prize within thirty  days of being notified, they will forfeit their prize and Promoter reserves the right to choose another winner(s). Promoter’s decision is final and Promoter reserves the right not to correspond on any matter.
14. The name, region of residence and likeness of the winners may be used by Promoter for reasonable post-event publicity in any form including on Promoters website and social media pages, in advertising for Tender at no cost.
15. You can find out who has won a prize by sending a stamped addressed envelope, marked with the name of the competition to Picador Book Club Competition, Pan Macmillan, 20 New Wharf Road, London, N1 9RR 30 days after the closing date.
16. Promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend these Terms and Conditions or change the Prize (to one of equal or greater value) as required by the circumstances. No cash equivalent to the Prize is available.
18. Promoter may at its sole discretion disqualify any entrant found to be tampering or interfering with the entry process or operation of the website, or to be acting in any manner deemed to be disruptive of or prejudicial to the operation or administration of the Promotion.
19. Other than for death or personal injury arising from negligence of the Promoter, so far as is permitted by law, the Promoter hereby excludes all liability for any loss, damage, cost and expense, whether direct or indirect, howsoever caused in connection with the Promotion or any aspect of the Prize. All activities are undertaken at the entrants own risk. Your legal rights as a consumer are not affected.
20. These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law. Disputes arising in connection with this Agreement shall be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.