to celebrate the new paperback edition of the thing about jellyfish by ali benjamin, sea life are offering you the chance to meet a jellyfish in real life by winning a once in a lifetime marine biologist experience, inspired by this wonderful story.
this prize will inspire marine biologists of the future! the winner will team up with our expert aquarist guides to go deep behind the scenes and discover how sea life cares for our marine and fresh-water species.
there’s a lot going on beneath the surface at sea life. you’ll have privileged access to our behind the scenes working areas where you can learn about such things as our breeding, research and conservation programmes and see how the fish food is prepared! expect an action packed day where you will help in everything from feeding the animals to executing your own water tests!
sea life will teach you: jellyfish have no nerves, no blood, no heart and no brain, but they can detect the touch of other animals through a nerve-net spread throughout their bell and their bodies consist of 95% water!
suzy is twelve when her best friend, franny, drowns one summer at the beach. it takes two days for the news to reach suzy, and it's not something that she can accept: franny has always been a strong swimmer, from the day they met in swim class when they were just five. how can someone all of a sudden, just no longer be there?
suzy realizes that they must have got it wrong: franny didn't just drown - she was stung by a poisonous jellyfish. this makes a lot more sense to suzy's logical mind than a random drowning - cause: a jellyfish sting; effect: death.
suzy's journey to acceptance is quiet - she resolves to either say something important, or say nothing at all. but it's also bursting with bittersweet humour, heartbreaking honesty, big ideas and small details.
read the first chapter
to be in with a chance of winning answer the following question:
how did suzy meet franny?
THIS COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED
terms and conditions
please read these terms and conditions carefully. by entering into this marine biologist experience in partnership with sea life (“promotion
”), you agree that you have read these terms and that you agree to them. failure to comply with these terms and conditions may result in your disqualification from the promotion.
1. this promotion is run by macmillan children's books a trading division of macmillan publishers international limited a company registered in england with registered number 02063302 and registered office at cromwell place, hampshire international business park, lime tree way, basingstoke, hampshire, rg24 8yj (“promoter
2. to enter this promotion you must be: (a) a resident of the united kingdom; and (b) aged 18 years of age or have the permission of a parent or guardian to enter. if entrant is under 18 years of age then a parent or guardian must be in attendance on the holiday. proof of identity and age may be required.
3. this prize draw is not open to directors or employees of macmillan publishers international ltd and their immediate families and the directors or employees of sea life and their families. promoter reserves the right to verify the eligibility of entrants.
4. the promotion is open for entries between 12:00
on thursday 8 september 2016
on friday 11 november 2016.
5. no purchase is necessary to enter this promotion and will not increase your chances of winning.
6. you can enter this promotion in the following way: correctly answer the multiple choice question found at
7. only one entry per eligible person. multiple entries will be deemed to be invalid and may lead to disqualification
8a. promoter accepts no responsibility for any entries that are incomplete, illegible, corrupted or fail to reach promoter by the closing date for any reason. proof of posting or sending is not proof of receipt. entries via agents or third parties are invalid. no other form of entry is permitted. please keep a copy of your entry as we will be unable to return entries or provide copies.
8b. sea life reserves the right to disqualify any entry which, or entrant or winner who, breaches any of these terms and conditions
9. the prize for the promotion consists of the following:
the winning entrant will win a marine biologist for a day experience, including the following elements:
a. the marine biologist prize is valid for up to 2 people to be taken at your choice of one of the following sea life centres:
prize is valid for two people. children are 14 & under at participating uk sea life centres & sanctuaries except national sea life birmingham, where children are 15 and under. visitors 12 years and under must be accompanied by a person 18 years of age or over at weymouth sea life adventure park. please note that size, height, weight, age restrictions and medical warnings apply to certain rides and/or attractions.
should you wish to visit one of the following sea life centres instead, we can arrange a different prize for you that will include a creature feed but it will not involve a marine biologist experience:
- great yarmouth
- loch lomond
b. the prize will comprise:
-complimentary entry for 2 people
-a guided tour of the aquarium led by a marine expert with plenty of time afterwards to continue your exploration. content will vary by site but a typical tour might include:
- food chains – learn who eats who and how we look after our marine life at sea life.
- habitat – learn fun facts about who lives where and why.
- our british seas – be surprised as you meet rays, seahorses and many other creatures who live on our doorstep.
- breeding programmes - learn about our dedicated breeding projects at sea life
-at a pre-agreed time, you will embark on a behind the scenes tour or equivalent, where you will get more hands on with the care of our marine creatures.
-a creature feed experience. depending on site and your age, you could feed a penguin, turtle or even shark!
-spare time for you to enjoy your day at the aquarium at your leisure. if seeing jellyfish is of specific interest, please enquire as not all sites have jellyfish displays
-sea life goody bag with plush toy to take home
c. the creature feed experience may vary at each sea life. there is a 1.2m height requirement and children must be aged 8 or over for some of the creature feed experiences. age and height restrictions may vary depending on which sea life site is chosen. we will work with the winner to put together an age-appropriate day of sea life experiences. please contact [email protected]
or call 01202 440897 with your site of choice for full details
d. the prize must be claimed and experience taken by 31 december 2017. the prize cannot be taken during: bank holiday weekends, easter, whitsun, february or october school holidays (including the weekends either side)
e. the prize can only be taken on mondays, tuesdays, thursdays & fridays at sea life scarborough; and on fridays and sundays at sea life weymouth
f.the prize must be arranged minimum 1 month before the desired date and is subject to availability
g. travel costs to london up to £100. travel costs will be reimbursed up to £100 only on receipt of proof of payment
h. features and/or creatures shown on any promotional material are not necessarily available at your chosen sea life centre.
10. the prizes shall be awarded as follows: one winner will be randomly selected. the decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
11. ownership of entries: any personal information (such as your name, date of birth, email address and address) will be used solely in connection with this competition and will not be disclosed to any third party, except for the purpose of fulfilling the prize where applicable or if you have opted to join our mailing list.
12. the winner(s) of the promotion shall be notified as follows: the winner will be contacted by email by 15th
january 2017 to confirm their prize.
13. the selected winner must confirm their acceptance of the prize within seven  working days or we may choose to select another entrant. upon acceptance of the prize, a date for the experience day will be agreed between macmillan, sea life and the winner within 28 days. sea life shall have the right to approve or disapprove the selected dates in its absolute discretion. prize draw prize must be claimed and experience taken by 31st december 2016. once this date has been confirmed, the date cannot be changed. this date will also be subject to availability. travel costs up will be reimbursed up to £100 only on receipt of proof of payment.
14. the name, region of residence and likeness of the winners may be used by promoter for reasonable post-event publicity in any form including on promoters [merlin entertainments (sea life) limited or macmillan publishers international limited] website and social media pages at no cost.
15. you can find out who has won a prize by sending a stamped addressed envelope, marked with the name of the competition to jellyfish competition, pan macmillan, 20 new wharf road, london, n1 9rr 30 days after the closing date.
16a. promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend these terms and conditions or change the prize (to one of equal or greater value) as required by the circumstances. no cash equivalent to the prize is available. the prize is non-transferable. arrangement for the fulfilment of prizes will be made by sea life, who may put a third party in direct contact with the winner to arrange details of the prize.
16b. sea life reserves the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value, subject always to these terms and conditions or the terms and conditions of any third party supplier.
16c. the prizes are not exchangeable for cash or any other prize. sale of the prize for profit is prohibited. prize cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or ticket.
16d. the prize draw may be modified or withdrawn at any time. sea life reserves the right to reject entries from entrants not entering into the spirit of the prize draw
18. promoter may at its sole discretion disqualify any entrant found to be tampering or interfering with the entry process or operation of the website, or to be acting in any manner deemed to be disruptive of or prejudicial to the operation or administration of the promotion.
19a. other than for death or personal injury arising from negligence of the promoter, so far as is permitted by law, the promoter hereby excludes all liability for any loss, damage, cost and expense, whether direct or indirect, howsoever caused in connection with the promotion or any aspect of the prize. all activities are undertaken at the entrants own risk. your legal rights as a consumer are not affected.
to the fullest extent permitted by law, neither sea life, nor its employees or agents will be liable for:
- any failure by third parties to fulfil their obligations in this prize draw;
- any fault, malfunction, damage, loss or disappointment suffered by the entrants arising from their participation in this prize draw;
-any system or communication failure, or any other reason, with the effect of making this prize draw materially more difficult or impossible to run; or
-any other reason outside of the reasonable control of sea life;
- save that liability for fraud or for death or personal injury arising from the negligence of sea life and its employees or agents is not excluded.
20. these terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with english law. disputes arising in connection with this agreement shall be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the english courts.
21. macmillan publishers international ltd have organised this prize draw in good faith and do not accept any liability relating to the prize.