Macmillan Children's Books, 0 - 6
Pan Macmillan UK is one of the largest general book publishers in the UK, with imprints including Macmillan, Mantle, Pan, Picador, Boxtree, Sidgwick & Jackson, Bello, Tor, Kingfisher, Macmillan Children's Books, Campbell Books and Macmillan Digital Audio. Pan Macmillan is part of the Macmillan Publishing Group. We have recently been awarded Publisher of the Year for the second time in three years.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an Editor (12 month contract) to work on the Macmillan Children’s picture book publishing programme.
We are looking for a highly organized and talented Editor with at least three years’ current editorial experience working in children’s publishing, in particular illustrated picture book titles. You will be assisting the Editorial Director with managing a range of creatively and commercially exciting picture books, project managing from copy-editing stage through to final files for front list titles, across all editions.
Working as part of a busy and dynamic team you will be adept at developing and editing manuscripts, evaluating proposals and scheduling and costing of projects. You will have excellent communication skills, liaising with authors and illustrators and maintain strong working relationships with every individual involved in the editorial and production process. The role combines project management with the need for excellent editing and proofreading skills, and an understanding of children’s picture books.
The successful applicant will:
- Have previous desk-editing experience – with at least three years working with illustrated children’s books
- Have a strong understanding of the production process, scheduling and critical path
- Have a broad knowledge of, and interest in, the children’s book market including children’s picture books
- Have excellent editing and proofreading skills
- Be self-motivated and highly flexible – happy to move between projects as priorities dictate and manage multiple projects effectively
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and maintain strong working relationships with the wider Editorial and Design teams, Production, Sales, Rights, Communications and Marketing teams
- Have an impeccable eye for detail and an excellent understanding of the English language, i.e. grammar, punctuation and semantics
- Be computer literate (Microsoft Office, Excel) and numerate
Macmillan Children’s Books, which includes the Campbell and Two Hoots imprints, is a highly successful and prize-winning publisher of books for children from babies to young adults.
The appointed Editor will work within the 0-6 team on illustrated children’s books, including commercial and licensed picture books and heritage titles.
- The key tasks of the role will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Editorial responsibility for a range of titles
- Working with the design team and external illustrators
- Supporting the editorial team with copy-editing and proof reading
- Liaising with authors, illustrators and agents
This role will be for a fixed term of 12 months and is based in our King’s Cross, London office.
To apply, please submit your named
CV, cover letter confirming your current salary and notice period, to [email protected]
quoting reference PAN/023/18
The deadline for applications is 14th April 2018
All applicants must be able to demonstrate the right to live and work in the UK in order to be considered for the vacancy.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the high volume of applications we receive we are unable to respond to everyone. If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of the closing date then unfortunately you have not been shortlisted for the position.