Nothing beats a barbecue with friends when the sun is shining, but feeding a crowd can get pricey. Limahl Asmall's new book Tiny Budget Cooking is full of recipes and tips on how to eat delicious food for less, including these great budget barbecue ideas. Why not give them a go this weekend?
Marinated Satay Chicken
4 tbsp hoisin sauce
6 tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp grated garlic
1 spring onion, finely chopped
200g chicken breasts
4 tbsp coriander, chopped
1. In a bowl, add the hoisin sauce, peanut butter, lime juice, grated ginger, grated garlic and spring onion. Mix together to form a paste.
2. Marinate the chicken breasts in the paste for 1 hour in the fridge.
3. Grill the marinated chicken on the barbecue until it is cooked through and white throughout, with juices running clear.
4. Scatter the coriander over the chicken and serve with coleslaw and wraps for a healthier barbecue treat.
4 plain tortilla wraps
2–3 tsp English mustard
200g cheddar, grated
4 tbsp parsley, roughly chopped
2 spring onions, chopped
4 slices of ham, chopped
1. Place one wrap into a medium-hot griddle or frying pan and heat for 45 seconds to 1 minute. When the underside is golden, flip the wrap over and spread 1 teaspoon of mustard onto the cooked side.
2. Sprinkle a quarter of the cheese, ham, spring onions and parsley evenly over the wrap and then fold it in half. Cook for another 30 seconds, then flip to cook the other side until your desired crunch is achieved. Repeat the process with the rest of the wraps and serve.
Side dish: Tomato Bruschetta
150g cherry tomatoes
salt and pepper
4 tbsp basil, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
3 slices of bread
1 clove garlic (optional)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 ball of mozzarella, torn
1 slice of prosciutto ham, roughly sliced
1. Slice the cherry tomatoes into small pieces and add to a bowl. Season generously with salt and pepper, 3 tablespoons of the chopped basil leaves and the olive oil. Mix together and set aside.
2. Toast the bread and cut each slice in half. If you fancy it, cut a clove of garlic in half and gently rub the cut end all over the surface of the toast.
3. Drizzle the oil over the bread then top with the tomato mixture, mozzarella and proscuitto ham. Make sure to pour over the juice as it contains the massive flavour.