Bridget O'Donnell gives you a run-down of her top ten fictional detectives.
1. Inspector John Rebus – a classically flawed yet brilliant police detective living in the beautiful city of Edinburgh, where I lived as a student and loved.
2. Jimmy McNulty – another handsome maverick cop with an Irish rebellious streak, sounds rather like another policeman I know…
3. Jane Tennison – a fabulously poised female detective, succeeding in a tough man’s world.
4. Sabrina Duncan – Charlies Angels – because I adored her as child. She may not have been as fluffy or as pretty as the others but she certainly had wit and a tad more intellect.
5. Jules Maigret – discovered during a long rainy weekend in a caravan many years ago.
6. Lisbeth Salandar and Mikael Blomkvist – not police, but detectives all the same, Lisbeth is a refreshing, original character and I can relate to the journalist ‘detective’, Mikael.
7. Mr. Whicher – Kate Summerscale’s fantastic Victorian detective, who broke the mould and was proved to have been right all along.
8. Sherlock Holmes – one of the original and the best.
9. Miss Marple – simple but always satisfying tales by the great Agatha Christie, particularly well played on television by Joan Hickson, a little mouse with hidden claws.
10. Magnum PI – for the grand moustache and kitsch Hawaii backdrop.
Who are your favourite fictional detectives? Let us know by posting a comment below.
Have a look at the real life characters from Inspector Minahan's world.