Make Joe Wicks' healthier Popcorn Chicken and Super Slaw
Try Joe Wicks' healthier Lean in 15 version of a takeaway favourite with this recipe from his new book, The Fat Loss Plan.
Try Joe Wicks' healthier Lean in 15 version of a takeaway favourite with this recipe for Popcorn Chicken and Super Slaw from his new book, The Fat Loss Plan, which is out now. This recipe is easy to make for a crowd, so why not invite all your mates round for a leaner (and cheaper) Friday-night feast?
- For the chicken
- 4 tbsp cornflakes
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- black pepper
- 1 medium egg white
- 1 x 200g skinless chicken breast fillet
- For the slaw
- 1 medium carrot coarsely grated
- 100g green cabbage finely shredded
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 apple cut into thin matchsticks
- 2 tbsp parsley very finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp toasted cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
-Preheat the oven to 220°C (fan 200°C/gas mark 7).
- Crush the cornflakes with a rolling pin until fine then transfer to a plate.
-Mix the tomato puree, cayenne pepper, garlic salt and mixed herbs in a large bowl and season with pepper.
-Whisk the egg white in a clean glass bowl until stiff peaks form, then fold it into the tomato puree mixture.
-Cut the chicken into eight bite-sized pieces and dip the chicken into the egg mixture. Roll in the crushed cornflakes to coat evenly. Place the pieces in a shallow ovenproof dish in a single layer.
-Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly golden and crisp.
-While the chicken is cooking, make the slaw by mixing together all the ingredients in a wide bowl. Season and serve with the popcorn chicken.