Jack Monroe’s Tin Can Recipe: Anellini con cacio e pepe
If you’re finding yourself tasked with creating delicious daily meals with store cupboard tins, Jack Monroe’s Tin Can Cook offers endless inspiration. Try her delicious, easy-to-make anellini con cacio e pepe (no dry pasta needed).
Award-winning food writer and anti-poverty campaigner; Jack Monroe's delicious recipe for anellini con cacio e pepe uses only tinned and dried ingredients, perfect for staying home and using store cupboard essentials.
Join Jack on BBC One every weekday at 10 a.m. for the brand new cooking show, Daily Kitchen Live. In each episode, Jack will be providing inspiration for delicious meals that use just the bare essentials.
Jack says, "This recipe came about on a miserable evening; I was out of sorts, grumpy and didn't want to cook for myself, let alone delve into my imagination and create something wonderful. It happens here and there, and I have learned over the years that the best way to keep the black dog at bay is by feeding him carbs and cheese and going to bed satiated with a book to escape into. But this particular evening, I didn't even have the emotional energy to boil a pan for pasta. I didn't want to. Life gets us like that sometimes, and I'm hoping that this recipe will come in handy for those of you who find yourselves needing a little swift self-care every now and then. Cacio e pepe is one of my favourite dishes; in its true form, it's soft spaghetti tossed in butter or olive oil, with Parmesan or Grana Padano finely grated in, and a hefty dose of black pepper. I make that version often, but this is a sloppy stand-in, that's about 95 per cent as good as the original, with 5 per cent of the work. And it's ready in 2 minutes, too.
- 1 x 400g tin of spaghetti hoops
- 15g butter or 1 tbsp oil
- hard strong grated cheese
- pinch of black pepper
- Tip the spaghetti hoops into a sieve and gently rinse them to get rid of the tomato sauce.
- Transfer to a microwave-proof bowl.
- Microwave on full power for 90 seconds.
- Remove, stir and microwave for 30 seconds more. If you don't have a microwave, heat through gently and quickly on the hob; they will fall apart a little but will still be delicious!
- Remove the pasta from the microwave and add the butter or oil, cheese and a pinch of pepper. Stir through. Enjoy immediately. Repeat as desired.