Jack Monroe’s cheeky corn fritters recipe
Award-winning food writer and anti-poverty campaigner, Jack Monroe, has brought together seventy-five of her favourite recipes, all of which can be made with canned and dried ingredients. These delicious, easy-to-make sweetcorn fritters are perfect for breakfast or brunch.
A good corn fritter recipe is an excellent thing to have up your sleeve, for breakfast, brunch, or making a meal out of a tin of corn. This is as good a recipe as any, and once you know how to do it, you'll never be short of a speedy, filling brunch recipe.
Two - four
- 1 small onion (finely chopped or 100g frozen sliced onion)
- 75g self-raising flour
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper or ¼ tsp chilli powder
- salt and pepper
- 300g drained tinned sweetcorn
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk or water
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Toss the onion into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the flour, cayenne pepper or chili powder, salt and pepper, and stir well to coat it all.
- Add the sweetcorn to the bowl and stir again.
- Crack in the eggs and add the milk or water, then mix well to form a rough batter.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat.
- Drop in the batter, 3 tablespoons at a time.
- Cook for 3–4 minutes on each side, and serve.